Thursday, January 8, 2009

In the spirit of sadness.

“There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.”
-Carl Gustav Jung

I feel comfortable being sad. Because as long as I'm sad, I'm feeling. As long as I'm sad, I know it won't take much to make me happy again. And that gets me through those periods of time when all I want to do is lay in bed and mope. And think about things I can't change.
But, still, I feel alive, and I know that, eventually, the feeling will subside and I'll want it back again.
Because sadness,no matter how lonely, how ugly, how miserable, is what keeps me going.
It's what keeps me wanting to write. It's what makes me want to do better.
So i think sometimes I inflict it on myself. On purpose.
Masochist.
Hedonist.
I need sadness.
Because you don't really miss it when it's gone,but you feel it so hard when it comes.
Because it's always there. Even when you don't think it is.
So this is my thank you note for it. Don't ever be gone for too long.
xoxoxoxo.

No comments: