Thursday, January 22, 2009

V day=D day, simple mathematics

I've never been a Valentine's Day fanatic. For starters, I was the girl in high school that never got anything. Yeah, that was me. I hated looking at all the preppy girls with their little flowers and balloons. Wasn't to say I didn't have boyfriends, I think I've just always attracted guys that didn't think I'd value that kind of adoration.
(Or, you know, the kind of boyfriends that would spend their birthdays with their ex-girlfriends, get hickeys and then blame it on the vacuum cleaner. Yeah. Not even joking. But that's a completely different can of worms)
And I didn't. I've never really been into public displays of affection (probably because it interferes with my tough girl persona).
It has become increasingly apparent to me that I don't know much about relationships. I've been in long term relationships, practically married, really, and i still feel like I don't know shit.
HOWEVER, i do know one thing.
I know that in my last relationship I felt loved everyday. There wasn't a schedule of when I should feel loved, when i should get presents, when i should get flowers.
That being said, it is pretty obvious to me that the problem with Valentine's Day is not these cheesy couples trying to impress each other with tennis bracelets and expensive wallets. The problem is, and always has been, me.
I don't know how to deal with affection and I definitely don't know how to deal with love.
I think it's easier for me to pick a fight, to have my guard up and to turn that away because as warm and charming as love is, it's not really in my comfort zone. Sad? yes. Lonely? sure. Should I seek a shrink? More than likely.
Here's my thing.... if you are capable of receiving and giving love (and really, we all are, at least to a certain extent), do it everyday. And don't do it just to significant others, do it to strangers, to your parents and even those crazy bums in downtown that ask you for change and get mad when you don't have any.
Forget the mass hysteria of Valentine's day and show appreciation for the people you care about every day. Life is short. And you're only guaranteed death.

No comments: